Sunday, June 14, 2009

On the edge with peregrine chicks and other birds

I was watching the Derby peregrine chicks on the webcam the other day when one of the young birds toppled over the side of the ledge and out of view.

I was beside myself – jumping up and shouting at the screen. After what seemed like hours, I was delighted to hear that the young female was fine, having landed on a nearby roof, none the worse for her exciting experience.

I then read about the peregrine chick in Manchester that, on one of its first flights, took a ride on the Wheel of Manchester, hopping from pod to pod and seemingly enjoying itself.

I love our urban peregrines, they add so much to our towns and cities. I know summer is here because I’ve given the RSPB my dates when I will be showing people the peregrines that live on the chimney of the Tate Modern by the Thames.

If any of you find yourselves by the river in Central London between mid July and mid September, come along. We will have the telescopes trained on the top of the tower every day between noon and 7pm. If you do come along, look out for me and say hello.

While urban peregrines seem to be doing well, spare a thought for the UK’s seabird colonies. A recent report has revealed major declines in the numbers of many UK seabirds since the late 1960s.

Populations of at least nine of the UK’s 25 species seabird have decreased dramatically. Overall the report shows the UK’s seabird population has reduced by 9% since 2000, but in Scotland, where the majority of the UK’s seabirds occur, numbers have crashed by nearly one fifth (19%).

If you’ve ever enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of a large seabird colony you will be concerned by this news. It just shows how we urgently need the UK’s Marine and Coastal Access Bill and the Marine (Scotland) Bill which are currently before the UK and Scottish Parliament. If we don’t tackle the issues of climate change by stopping unsustainable fisheries, pollution and development we will lose our seabirds and our coastline will be poorer and quieter.

No comments: