Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring at last!

As I write this I’m enjoying the tail end of a warm and sunny weekend so I really do feel as if spring is finally with us.
I’m also keeping half an eye on the peregrine webcams from Derby and Worcester and am smiling to myself when I think of the Chichester and Tate peregrines sitting on their eggs.

I saw something else amazing this weekend while I was volunteering for the RSPB at the heronry in Regent’s Park. One of the juvenile herons took its maiden flight and the gasp that went around volunteers and onlookers alike was amazing. Ok, I’ll admit it wasn’t much of a flight – probably more of an exaggerated long hop really, but the bird ended up on a branch above the nest with its siblings looking on in amazement. What really cracked me up was when one of the other youngsters stretched its neck up towards the bird above in what looked like a vain attempt to pull it back into the nest.

Watching this first faltering attempt at flying got me to wondering though. What an amazing leap of faith it must be to just launch yourself into the air never having done it before. I guess it’s no different to a baby getting up on its feet the first time – but at least they are closer to the ground! Those nests are pretty high up in the trees!

It also just reminds you how fraught with peril life is for a young bird. As I enjoy the webcams I can’t help remembering the young female peregrine from the Tate pair last year who unfortunately met with an untimely end after flying into a building. I remember how devastated I felt when I heard the news – let’s hope we don’t have to go through that again. Our birds of prey have enough trouble with gamekeepers, pigeon fanciers and others who wish them harm without that sort of bad luck.

Anyway, I hope you are all taking the chance to get out birding. I’ll be out and about over Easter, hoping to see my first swallows of the year. I’m also counting the days until the swifts come back and I’d love it if you’d let me know when you see your first ones – mainly so I can tell my father-in-law to keep an eye out for the two pairs that nest in the boxes on his house in Rutland.

No comments: