Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year, New List

January is one of my favourite times of year for birding as it’s time to start a new list for the new year.

I enjoy looking at all birds all the time, but I will admit, January is a bit special because it means I can look at common birds and “tick them” on my new list.

So I find myself actively looking out for robins, wrens, blue tits, blackbirds etc instead of just enjoying them when they cross my path while I’m out and about. And they are worth seeking out.

Anyone who says that common birds are boring is wrong. You never know when you are going to see them doing something unusual. I will never forget sitting in a hide on the South Devon coast in the spring watching a blue tit flying backwards and forwards to its nest with its beak full of wool.

It took a little while to figure out where this wool was coming from and then I spotted the bird sitting on a barbed wire fence surrounding a field full of sheep. It was ‘harvesting’ the wool from the wire and using it to line its nest.

I was telling someone about this and they told me that they often put wool and other nesting material out for the blue tits in the breeding season – something which would never had occurred to me, but I am certainly planning to do the same in 2009.

And that brings me to the other thing about the new year – resolutions! This year my main resolution is to do more to help wildlife in the UK and beyond. I will continue to volunteer for the RSPB and want to step up my support for the albatross campaign, the birds of prey campaign and the RSPB’s efforts to save the Sumatran Rainforest. These are all vitally important and you can find out more here.

My final resolution is to reduce my carbon footprint even more and help save the planet. Find out how you can do your bit by visiting the Stop Climate Chaos coalition website

Finally I’d like to wish you all a happy new year, enjoy your birding and look out for our winter visitors of brent geese, whooper and bewick swans, snow buntings, fieldfare and redwings. And wrap up warm!

How to Birdwatch
January 4 2009

1 comment:

Cagandnant said...

Great article. I am going to start a list for 2009, something I've never done before. I'm also going to save used postage stamps for the Save the Albatross campaign.

Happy New Year